The Maynard Education Foundation (MEF), founded in 2000, represents an important resource for educational innovation in Maynard. Many cities and towns throughout Massachusetts support education foundations to enhance public education.
An education foundation is a non-profit, private charitable organization that seeks tax-deductible gifts and bequests from citizens, businesses, and organizations. There is an important need for public schools to have funds over and above what is provided through taxes. This source of funds can make the difference between an average experience for students and an opportunity to excel and enjoy something special in education.
The Maynard Education Foundation (MEF) is an independent, non-profit 501 (c) 3 organization that uses its philanthropic contributions to enhance educational excellence in the Maynard Public Schools by funding ideas and projects which promote and celebrate academic rigor and achievement, excitement about learning, and innovation in instruction.
The purpose of the Foundation is to:
- Provide resources for implementing ideas consistent with our purpose;
- Promote new educational ideas and initiatives;
- Fund projects that benefit as many students and teachers as possible;
- Provide clear instruction and criteria for both the grant application and grant evaluation process.
The Foundation shall achieve this by:
- Raising contributions
- Determining the specific purpose for which moneys may be used;
- Accepting or rejecting donations depending on their suitability;
- Selecting various projects for which moneys may be employed.
The Foundation shall accomplish its purposes in accordance with the following guiding principles:
- The Foundation funds proposals that will enhance educational excellence in the Maynard Public Schools. Awards are granted to applicants for creative program development, instructional resources, and innovative projects.
- Priority considerations, whenever possible, shall be given to proposals that can be replicated, are sustainable, and have a potentially broad impact upon the schools.
- The Foundation shall not engage in activities inconsistent with policy of the Schools, with contracts entered into by the Schools, or with educational objectives of the Schools.
- Foundation funds are not intended to replace or relieve existing responsibility for public funding of programs for the public school system nor are they intended to substitute for normal budget growth and maintenance.
- The Foundation shall not finance projects which have continuing annual costs.
- Any equipment and materials that are acquired or produced in connection with a Foundation grant shall be the property of the Maynard Public Schools.
Board of Trustees
- Ms. Fiona Nauseda, President
- Ms. Mary S. Brannelly, Clerk
- Ms. Lauren Sumiko Campion
- Ms. Sandra Hinds
- Mr. Reggie Hobbs
- Ms. Mary Kay Landon, Treasurer
- Mr. Tom Muldoon, Treasurer
- Ms. Julie Snyder
- Ms. Ann Stachowicz
- Ms. Jennifer Wayne